Any amount of time spent in the bush results in an improvement in our wellbeing. From watching gracious and beautiful animals, to appreciating a sunset, to losing ourselves in the quietness of the surroundings and the magnificence of nature. Sitting down for a gourmet meal accompanied by fine wine and settling in for the night in a bed of plush linen for a full night’s sleep are experiences that leave us feeling refreshed and focused. A session in a gym overlooking the bush or pamper time in one of our Amani Spa’s are sure to awaken our senses and revive us.
With stay-at-home orders in place all around the world due to Covid-19, improving your wellness in the wild is not possible at the moment. While we are confined to our places of residence, we are experiencing a renewed global focus on wellbeing and during this challenging time we need to use the resources at our disposal, to practice self-care. Sound health advice like eating a balanced diet, exercising and getting enough sleep are especially crucial during times of crisis to maintain physical and mental wellbeing.
The changes brought on by the coronavirus pandemic can feel overwhelming at times and allow our emotions to overrule our thoughts. We are by no means medical experts, but as a leading luxury game lodge we have seen over the past 40 years what leaves our guests feeling like the best version of themselves after a few days in their ‘home away from home in the bush’.
• First thing in the morning – don’t reach for your phone. Spend 15 minutes somewhere in your home where you can look outside or sit outside. Appreciate the sunrise, a bird in a tree, the sound of the wind and while you do so – name three things you are grateful for.
• While there is no professional chef to prepare outstanding meals, use your imagination and creativity to explore new recipes. Think of the meals you would have had while sitting down at a table at any of our four five-star lodges and be inspired to try new variations. Cook your oats in coconut milk, or roast your chicken on a grill as an alternative to cooking it in the oven for dinner. Give your immunity a constant boost by opting for fresh fruit and vegetables and experiment with flavours.
• Water has healing properties, flushes our system from toxins and boosts skin health and beauty. Fill a pitcher with fresh, cool water and add the juice of ½ lemon and cut the other half into slices and add them to the pitcher. Then add cucumber slices and fresh mint leaves. Refrigerate for about 3 hours for flavours to enhance.
• Workouts at home won’t be accompanied by an elephant ogling you through the window. For this experience, you will have to visit our Earth Lodge or Bush Lodge gyms for a sweat session. Any form of movement will do wonders and there is a myriad of virtual classes to join to practice yoga, Pilates, barre or HIIT workouts. Manage a safe distance from others and go walk, run or cycle outside. If you are lucky to have a garden to move around in, spend some time every day in the sun (no longer than 20 minutes) to get an adequate dose of Vitamin D. Get your hands dirty in the garden – take out the weeds, mow the lawn and plant new seedlings.
• Be sure to make some time for yourself by taking care of your mind and body. Create a meditation or relaxation spot at home some where you can unwind and de-stress with some breathing techniques in a darkened or soft light spot to help you unwind. No need to venture to the shops, use the ingredients you have at home to replicate a relaxing spa experience. Turn on some calming sounds and light a scented candle. Make an exfoliating scrub by combining 1 cup of sugar and ½ a cup dry coffee granules mixed with a few tablespoons of coconut or olive oil until you have a sandy consistency. Add some lemon juice for a fresh scent and apply to your skin in circular motions – complete this routine by applying some body butter or a rich emollient body cream to nourish your skin. If you are feeling adventurous to try a new facial regime, search the web for recipes of masks that suit your skin type and use foods such as avocado, honey, banana, egg, lemon juice, oats etc. These products can also be used in hair masks to keep your mane in tip-top condition.
• Getting good quality sleep is crucial in managing stress and anxiety. Create a tranquil space in your bedroom with your favourite blankets, pillows and house plants. An air purifier scented with a few drops of essential oils helps breathing and keeps us healthy by getting rid of harmful airborne toxins.
We can’t wait to spoil our guests again with our range of holistic spa treatments, nourishing food, tranquillity and a soul-enriching experience that can only be found in the bush. May you find healing within your own home until you are able to head over to ours.