chocolate ferrero rocher cake
"I thought there would be nothing more awesome than a cake that had two of my favourite hazelnut snacks!"
- 3½ cups cake flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups softened butter
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2½ teaspoons white vinegar
milk chocolate and ferrero rocher filling
- 15 Ferrero Rocher balls, crushed
- 200g Lindt milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
Tip: One easy way to crush Ferrero Rochers is to do them while they're still in their gold foil wrappers. Peel off the brown liner, lightly smash the chocolate while it's still in the foil, roll it around a hard surface, then open it up and dump the crushed bits into your mixture!
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line two round 22cm-diameter layer cake pans with a baking sheet or aluminium foil.
- Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
- Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
- Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.
- Divide batter among the 2 pans and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans 20 minutes. Then remove from pans, flip layers over, peel off parchment, and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, start on the milk chocolate and Ferrero Rocher filling.
- Place the Lindt chocolate in a medium bowl with the sifted cocoa powder. In a small saucepan bring the cream to a boil. Once it starts bubbling, pour the hot cream over the chocolate and gently whisk until smooth. Allow the mixture to cool, and add the crushed Ferrero Rochers.
- Next, start on the Nutella ganache. Melt the Nutella and cream over low heat, stirring constantly, until smoothly blended. Let it cool.
- Spread the milk chocolate and Ferrero Rocher filling over one layer, then put the other layer on top. Frost the top and sides with the Nutella ganache, then stand back, and marvel at your heavenly chocolate and hazelnut creation.